Monday, February 18, 2008

Viva Las Vegas Veterans

Though I have been to Las Vegas twice in my life, I felt like I saw it for the very first time. With all the new hotels, stores, and shows--Las Vegas never seems to be the same. This amazing city in the middle of the desert is new every time you visit it.

More so when I tagged along with the seasoned Vegas-goers: my mom, Tita L and Tito S, and their barkada: Tito K, Tito E and his wife, Tita A, (from L.A), and Tita S. I crashed their 6th year reunion. They like to eat (and how--lalo na chicheria), they like to shop, they like to watch the new and nice shows (neophytes like me can't afford more than one!) and they like to laugh and tell stories. And though I tagged along only because I wanted to watch Martin Nievera, I got more than I bargained for from this trip.

Vegas Veterans

First, I got to ride as a regular passenger in their van. The trip took about 9 hours, but we made pit stops for breakfast at Denny's. To eat breakfast without having to worry about what the kids will order or slicing their food into bite-size pieces was already making me giddy with happiness.
Just napping in the car without anyone crying was another pleasure I took to the max.

We shopped at Prim Outlet Store that carried Banana Rep, Gap, Todd's, Polo, Anne Taylor, etc. We were sure to all get a little something/s from Bijoux Ternier--the best French-sounding store where everything--from paisley pashmina shawls to knock-off colored leather bags--went for $10!!




When in Vegas, don't forget to check out the super sarap Binagoongang Baboy and others from Kapit-Bahay and Pinoy-Pinay--pinoy food supreme on the Strip.


But the culinary highlight was Spanish Cafe Bar-ba-ree-ba, where I tasted the most savory tapas, the most tender calamari, and the best paella I have ever had!



And then came the reason for my being there: Society of Seven and Lani Misalucha performed with guest Martin Nievera:


Diana Ross and the Supremes?

Lani was svelte and powerful, she can easily put Celine Dion to shame--that was the consensus of the group. Martin's voice sang straight to the soul and I remain faithful as a fan. My mom has become a convert, shouting "I love you, Martin!" by herself.


Happy, happy, happy day!!

Plus a bonus show--a treat from always and ever-so-generous Tita L--we got to see the fun and liberating Menopause, with Paige O'Hara (originally Belle in Broadway's Beauty and the Beast.")

I got to watch the Bellagio Dancing Fountains--a light a water show every 15 minutes. Though the photos are not great (I brought only a small camera, thus, I will have to articulate the fountains with words, and words always fall short), the experience is something else, as dancing strips of water interpreted surround music from Bocelli, to the Beattles, to Swan Lake, to Lionel Richie. The water show was enthralling, with graceful spurts when the music is slow, and then powerful bursts of up to 20 feet when the music demands more passion.


I could have watched the whole night, except that my mom would be worried. In my heaven, there will be dancing fountains and a city of lights, just like this:




And those who give a lot, get a lot--Tita L is blessed with good luck, ALL the time!


Viva Las Vegas Veterans!

For me, this was definitely a God-given trip. I was able to recharge, I held hands with Martin Nievera, I learned from Tita A and Tito E's stories, as they slugged it out as immigrants in Canada and then, in L.A. Every immigrant goes through a very rough time. And for older immigrants, we all do it for the kids. And then a time comes when it gets better for all of us.

I am strengthened and renewed in this immigrant adventure. In fact, I learned that I am blessed to be where I am and that so many others endured way more than we have. I learned to enjoy myself and not feel bad about leaving the kids. A break like this really helps in adjusting as immigrants.

Sabi nga ni Elvis, Viva Las Vegas!

3 comments:

Cathy B said...

so glad you had this time for yourself minotte! what a blessing indeed :) from hereon, take a break like this when the spirit calls. now you are refreshed.

Anonymous said...

Finally you took time out for yourself guilt free. Hooray for Minotte! The only Martin Nievera concert I've seen in my life was when we saw it at that concert place in Shoppesville, Greenhills. It was lots of fun. The only one that could beat that was our watching the Swing Out Sister concert! Remember???? Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Ganda naman ng Vegas trip. Answered prayers! They do come in the
most unexpected of places. Natawa ako ng sinabi mo you could eat in
peace without thinking of slicing the food for your kids into bite
sizes. Feel na feel ko yan. Kaya nga minsan after I do that for
Ariana, busog na ako or gutom dahil naubusan ako ng pagkain!

Congrats you deserve that. You should do mini breaks like that!

Kara