Saturday, February 02, 2008

Caliber and Illusion

My husband and I woke up earlier than usual and had one of our rare talks--the ones we used to have in Manila, where we just talk and talk and not judge.

I have been burning out lately, mostly from trying to balance being a school bus driver, tutor, and referee to my elementary kids and then running off to interview someone/s for the newspaper, beating a deadline, and then running to Walmart, to get materials for the collage of my 6th grade son, due on Monday. I have been burning out the other end by waiting on and coaching my (once rich-man) husband on the ethics of hard-work, focus, and perseverance.

In the meantime, we are tight with the budget and therefore, tight with time, because I keep accepting assignments for the money, not really knowing where to find time to write them.

I told my husband I miss our old lifestyle in Manila. When we were stressed, we could go to Rockwell and watch a movie and then have coffee--never feeling guilty about leaving the kids. In Manila, we could eat out often, in new restaurants, in fancy restaurants, hang out at hotel lobbies, hotel dinner buffets for $20.

I could go to the salon, have a manicure and pedicure spa, have a hip haircut with highlights and feel better about myself. I called on our ever-faithful masseuse and when I got lucky, she would bleach my underarms and wax my eyebrows as well.

What I miss most is hanging out with my friends and my big supportive family. They gave me a predictable routine of just validating that life has its ups and downs and everyone went through it. Very important pala yung Sunday lunches that we spent with either families. Here in America, the land of opportunity, you are lucky to have 1.2 friends on the average (not counting spouse or family). And my one and only friend,N, is busy with management seminars and climbing up his career ladder because he still has to save for his retirement lot in Tagaytay.

I miss my friends who like to go out, even with 50 pesos amongst us. I miss my cousins who like to drink in joy and in sorrow. (Although many of us don't drink nor smoke anymore). I miss my high school friends who just come and pick me up to eat out for no reason at all. I miss my friends who can afford to go to Hong Kong for the week-end. I miss the "Hello, mam/sir" greeting that you get from everyone who is always smiling. I miss that no matter how poor I was, there is something to affordable in Divisoria and Tutuban.

My friends and I used to plan a monthly lunch, where we take off for the whole afternoon, leaving our business-we-put-up-from scratch in the hands of our trusted assistants and sewers. We shared our woes and joys (in sales figures) in business, in family, in our marriages--some turbulent, some failing, the other one, quite good after all these years. We'd release our gripes over a long lunch (with dessert!) and then we would go on to watch the newest movie in the nicest movie house. We would always thank God for how lucky we were to have our own time and money.

I keep saying movies because watching a movie seems to be a lifeline to me . It's different in the movie house, where you can't hit the pause button and where you can laugh and cry anytime you want. I can watch movies alone and come out refreshed--and I don't even have the time nor the money to see Atonement, 6 weeks in the running. If I do, I have to watch it before 6 p.m., without popcorn or drinks that easily cost $15. Buti nalang I don't like popcorn.

"Why don't you make other friends?" asked my husband.

Unlike him, I am very particular about making friends. Coming from a big clan of about 30 cousins who are all like siblings, we know why we only trust each other, and very few other people. I am a loyal friend, and I give my all to my friends. So I can't just make new friends. Besides, friendship takes time and things in common--and we don't have much of that for hanging out as immigrants.

I realized that immigrants come from very different backgrounds. And though we are essentially the same as Filipinos, it is hard to find someone you have things in common with. Maybe I am looking for the same-caliber friends as in Manila. The ones who went to the same league of schools, the ones who grew up in Manila (versus the province). Not that I have anything against people from the province. People from the province who went to so-called public schools in the Philippines are way wealthier than us today. (Heck, they own 3 houses at a time). Our own kids go to public schools now. And we live in the equivalent of Pampanga right now.

So it's not about who has more money now. It's just that these commonalities should run through a friendship for it to work.

My mom said, "You may be poor, but you have the elan."
I said, "Mom, I will gladly sell my pedigree and style for all that cash!"

I miss the caliber of our Manila life. But my husband cautions me that this Manila caliber is an illusion. And I realize that though that may be true, I still miss it. I miss that when we are sick, we can go to one of our colleague doctors and confine ourselves in Makati Med. Here, we go to a mobile clinic because we have no insurance. In Manila, I play badminton with good cosmetic dentist to TV stars. She will try to save even my ugliest tooth and make my smile beautiful. Here, we go to Western Dental, where they are always eager to fit you for dentures.

Here all the rich Pinoys drive their newest S-class or C-class Mercedez Benzes. I never liked a Benz for a car, much less to show off. I realize that I didn't like it because we did not need it to show stature. Well, that was when we had stature. Here we have none. And when my badminton-mate picked me up from the train station in her Benz, all of a sudden I felt poor.

Although I kept taking it for granted, I realized that we have come from a privileged life in Manila. We may not have been super rich but we had stature, pedigree, and a good name, address, and a place in society. No matter how denied that, it is apparent to me now--and I should embrace it and work towards it, never to take it for granted again.


Dad R and daughter M all bundled up inside the house.


I have never judged a person by his wallet. But then that was because I was privileged. Let me say, it matters when we are poor and can't turn the heater on during winter. It was frustrating not be able to change our cracked car windshield for 8 months. And it matters when you are a nobody here and treated like one.

11 comments:

Miro0121 said...

A few years back you and your husband made a decision to migrate, and that means starting a new life. A new life also means letting go of the past. Stop looking back beacuse you will have a hard time moving forward.

Life in Manila was good. I miss it too! BUT, at the end of the day, this is reality. Please remember that money can be earned, and nice cars can be bought........having great kids??.....and a happy family??.......you are still richer than most people.

kofranks said...

Hey Minotte. Life is really full of twists and turns. "The Lord writes in crooked lines" was one of Lolo's favorite quotes whenever faced with trials. Pray, pray, pray. Ask for a sign. I can hear Lolo telling us "Hindi natutulog ang Diyos". We're just an email away.

Take care.

Cathy B said...

dear minotte, i can feel your tiredness and your pain from many miles away. i just came from listening to billy graham's daughter, anne graham lotz, who is one of the most powerful speakers i have ever heard. all of this will one day pass and be used for his greater glory. like what your cousin said above, just keep praying and turning to Jesus for help. he is just a prayer away and will give you what you need because he always provides. soak yourself in his word, borrow a good devotional from the library and try, as much as you can to wake up each day and spend at least 15 minutes with him so that you will be refereshed. I will keep you in my prayer time too. we all go through these times, and really, it can totally sap us. he is the only one who can really pull us through the depths of our sadness. God bless. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

my dear friend,
i cried while reading your blog. your pain felt so real. and i felt so bad because i could not hug you nor console you.

i wish i could just tell you to pack your bags and come home to the philippines. but that wouldn't be right. i do want to ask you something though. is the US ctizenship for the children that important to you? is it worth all the sacrifices that you have made, are making and will make in the future (at least 3 more years)? if it is that important nottes, then put the memories of your comfortable life here on hold. i-pause mo muna. because the quality of your life there will always pale in comparison to your life here. and you will feel sad, angry, kawawa every time you look back.

just think. even with all your struggles there, you and your family are surviving. sure, you are doing a lot. maybe more that you should. maybe more than you think ricky is doing. so what? if you really feel that your goal of getting US citizenship for all your kids is worthwhile then just focus on that and do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

just imagine.... once you get that citizenship you can come home and resume the life that you once had. now palang, you can look forward to building your country cottage in tagaytay, to baking beautiful bread, and maybe even holding baking or gardening classes. o diba! that is truly something to look forward to nottes.

you are in my thoughts. specially when i am gardening.
stay strong and focused. there is no obstacle that you cannot overcome.

love you,
N

TOW Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just read your blog about how difficult life is
here, the 1.2 friends most people have, the reluctance
to make new friends. I can relate to all of it. As
I've lived here for >15 years I've made my peace with
it. After all it was my choice to live here. But
even now every once in a while I ask myself if its
better to be a big fish in a small pond (life in
Manila) or a little fish in a big pond (life in the
US). For me, little fish in a big pond wins out. I
get to stretch myself more, its not cushy like in
Manila, never have enough time to do everything I
want, but everything I do is totally my decision. No
family pressure, no "what will people think" pressure,
no obligations dictating my actions. Its simply a
trade-off I guess. I'm sure you'll find your own way
to deal with the challenges. Be patient, you'll get
there.

Take care of yourself. Juno is a cute little movie.
Treat yourself & see it soon.

M

Anonymous said...

Hi Minotte, thanks for reminding me to read your latest entry.

It struck me that you're quite a lucky woman.

First, reading the comments from people, I could see how much love, concern and encouragement were in those short paragraphs. Friends who truly love you and feel with you. Hundreds of miles and lack of voice communication did not erase the depth and strength of these friendships. I must say, not many have this kind of friendships to fall back on in difficult times.

Second, I also remember a few years ago, when my Dad made a casual comment to me, "Si Minotte, malalim yan si Minotte." He meant it as a complement, meaning that you're not a shallow kind of person who doesn't give value to the more important things nor doesn't reflect on what life is trying to say to you.
people are instinctively drawn to you because of this... your empathy, wisdom, and wealth of experience.

I don't know really... but I have noticed that the trials and difficulties in our lives have given us precious wealth that no money, position, recognition, nor fame can give. But going through that difficult (and many times, prolonged) period, trying to process the learning and the pain, trying to make sense of it, trying to cope with it, making adjustments in it -- these are the labor pains. And we know how labor feels, right Cooks?

But once over the hurdle, once the situations takes a turn for the better, don't we look back and say, it was all worth it?

I thank God that you have the talent to write -- this talent keeps you sane, through your blog. Who knows, this could one day help others in similar situations? Maybe an inspirational book? Paganini was jailed for 8 years, where he could play only a violin with 3 strings. But when he was released from jail, and finally could play a normal 4-string violin, his playing was extraordinary, because he could play with just 3 strings. N one could play like him. He has many recordings now and is one of the most repected classical violin musicians.

Lia said...

Hi Minotte,
You are not alone. Believe it or not, thousands of immigrants have gone through what you're going through. Most folks, immigrant or not, go through financial difficulties, many do not have a "safety net" (I'm guessing you do.) Yes, these are rough times for you and your family, primarily because of your finances; but that is all it is. I know exactly how financial issues can put a strain on marriage, cause depression and stress - been there, done that. The moment our finances were resolved, all my other seemingly endless list of issues disappeared. Old cliche, but works - count your blessings... beautiful children, Syril for help around the house (most people don't have help), a husband who loves you and listens, a husband you can talk to, lots of friends and family who love and pray for you, your health, your faith, an education, etc. As much as I would like to write words that show my sympathy and understanding, at this moment, I think what you NEED to hear is... "Shake this off." You have too much to do, and no time to feel sorry for yourself. Tatagan mo ang loob mo. The first order of business is income. There are jobs out there for R (and you). They might not be ideal, but they will provide income. At this point, it doesn't sound like you have the luxury to be picky - or maybe you do, in which case, things are not as desperate as you think. I do not presume to know the details of your situation. Just remember, you are an intelligent,loving, beautiful, and strong person. I know you will get through this. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Take care.

Anonymous said...

There is really no perfect life. Sometimes we like to look at other people's lives and think " How come I can't have a life like theirs?" I get that all the time you know. Alam mo naman how much I worry uncontrollably about so many things and envy people who can live such relaxed lives. But then I start to count my blessings, a beautiful family, good health and a good realtionship with God! Meron ka din right? My only adavntage is that I live a spoiled life in Manila. But 3 out of 4 is not so bad diba?

Miss you my friend. Love you!!!

shirley

TOW Blog said...

wow, wow, wow!

i feel like i was hugged by all of you. i am so lucky to have very wise friends and family.

god bless all of you!

xoxo
minotte

Anonymous said...

Hi Minotte... I too feel your pain... but today I read a passage that I want to share with you... hope this helps:

[Jesus said,] "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! "No one can serve two masters; for a slave will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth." "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear?' For it is the Gentiles who strive for all these things; and indeed your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
-Matthew 6:19-24, 31-33