Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ateneo de Manila University on my Resume

I applied for a job today, just a part-time one, in a bread cafe and in my favorite bookstore. I figured, our funds will not make it this month and extra income will always be welcome.

I filled out an application and when it got to the Educational Attainment part, I wrote Ateneo de Manila University, and I realized that, one, I haven't written my alma matter on an application for a long time, and two, though a source of pride and dignity and a sure mark of academic excellence, my proud, private Jesuit education did not matter to the manager of the bread cafe.

I did not even bother to list my post-grad units in Psychology, lest the manager get intimidated.

Though I credit Ateneo for teaching me the value of hard work and critical and socially-conscious thinking, along with eloquent writing and flawless logic, its proud blue-eagle name doesn't sparkle here. While Ateneo (maybe the equivalent of Harvard in Philippines), on your Philippine resume will get you on top of the pile, here in the US, even the lowly community college bears more weight.

So. . .

No comments: