Friday, September 01, 2006

The Economics of Working from Home


Here in the States, I have been torn about going to work full-time somewhere. But something always keeps me home. Even in Manila, I nursed a clothing business that was viable enough so I had more free time. I think I have come to realize that my priority is raising my children first and a career has been always and only secondary.

In the States, it is hard to live on one full-time income. There is always pressure to work. But then, it is also hard to live with angry and wayward children, missing out on their wonder years--those innocent and smiling chubby cheeks when they still want to cuddle up to you. So between two full-time incomes and full-time homework tutoring and teaching them how to wait their turn, I continue to choose the latter. I am a full-time mom and a part-time writer.

Sometimes, my husband and I bicker about the lack of money. But since he is the one working, the argument usually results in my realization to be more creative about the budget. I have cut down on every possible unnecessary expense. But now, it is time to think of ways to bring in more money by working from home.

My writing income has tided us over but I have given up my health insurance for swimming and violin lessons for my kids. Believe me, I have stalled them from these activities but they chorused, "you said this year!" Heart-breaking naman, I had to make good on my word. In Manila, my kids had all sorts of activities--sports, ballet, Kumon--and they all thrived. I said no to ballet and Kumon here in the States. I conceded to my 5th grade son who is a wonderful swimmer and has been bugging me about violin lessons since 2nd grade!

So the violin and the swimming tempted me again to go get a full-time job. But then I realized, if I work, I will have to spend on clothes, gas, food. Baka abonado pa ako! Plus the fact that I will be beat up when i get home--and inevitably masungit. I remember when I was single and working and just crashed onto my bed after a long day at work. But with kids. . .not possible.

There is homework, dinner, rest time for my weary middle-aged bones. My secret weapon is Syrel--for without her, I won't even be able to work from home.

So I think it is more economical to for me to work-from-home. Uneasy with just taking the state's subsidy at first, my family is eligible for milk and cheese for my youngest. The kids are also eligible for free medical coverage from the state's Medi-Cal. If I work full-time, we will have to pay for these benefits and end having the same bottom line.

Meanwhile, I try not to be lazy and passive. I volunteer twice a week in the free public school to aid the overloaded teacher. I also help make crochet blankets for winter giveaway with the craft store group. My favorite articles are about pro-active groups helping the community.

And as for my full-time mothering job,I don't miss out on the opportunity cost to raise my kids to be kind, productive, and un-wasteful citizens. Many say my (Student-of-the Month)kids are confident and "good." My oldest son knows the value of work and money and is loved in school at his part-time job. He puts himslef through college now. In the long run, good work ethics will be instilled in them and they can go out and earn and pay taxes that will help out low-income families that need help, in return.

Though not monetary, my contribution to this county and state will be the strengthening of the already weak American family systems citizens that care for other people and or the world they live in. And my biggest return on investment of this time spent with them, money cannot buy and can be brought to my death-bed. It is a privilege indeed to know that the full-time and effort,love, sweat, tears, compromise, and no-sleep nights I gave were, not for some low-life boss/employer, but for my precious children.

And although I admire all the full-time working mothers out there, (wow!), I don't waste my energy navigating through office politics for a paycheck. Plus, an added bonus that money can't buy--I get to take a nap at 1 p.m.

What my husband would give for my privileges!

6 comments:

Senorito<- Ako said...

I can relate to every parenting sentence you wrote.

Funny how I transitioned from being a single-and-selfish person to a 'parent that doesn't think about himself'.

TOW Blog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TOW Blog said...

(e-mailed comment)

hi minotte,

> very true! actually, when i have so many things in my mind nowadays, i tend to be impatient or ignore the kids. what more if i work in a company full-time. volunteering gives me more flexibility, much satisfaction plus i get to stimulate my brain cells! lately, i had to learn how to import video from video cam, edit a bit and burn into vcd and dvd formats. am still learning sa accounting. abonado nga ako in terms of money siguro but i think i get much more out of it than i give.

Senorito<- Ako said...

The number of "formats" is kinda nauseating.

Digital cams have Jpg, Raw and TIFF.

DVD's have region coding.

Computers have windows based vs. Macs (plus other unix variants)

I'm sure, you'll encounter "format/medium" hurdles down the line. :)

---
Let me correct my earlier post.

Not selfish. More self-centered. :)

TOW Blog said...

(emailed)


well, we're lucky that someone brings home the bacon for the family so we don't have to deal with office politics. i'd rather kiss my kids' asses than the boss, noh! but if i had to choose between kissing the ass of the boss, maghanap nalang ako ng trabaho! kaya target ko LOI -- living on interest --- when i'm in my golden years.

XXX

Amadeo said...

As first generation immigrants, being frugal was very much part of our early lifestyle. And we had 4 young kids to provide for.

I had thought that we gave new meaning to frugality, which you might notice in this society has a rather negative impression. Thus, I'd rather use the term thrifty, and would be turned off by terms like cheapskate or skinflint.

But being sparing and judicious with our expenditures, finances got better faster, typically faster than the rest of society. And we felt our "sacrifices" were rewarded.