Thursday, September 14, 2006

Barnes and Noble


My two avid readers deserved a treat--books for their advanced reading class. I took them to Barnes and we went through a sea of books. I taught my kids how to reverently handle books--scanning them carefully, not to crumple the white pages, putting them back properly. My daughter washes her hands and smells the pages before reading her books (just like me).

On hand were the Northern California bestsellers including (for fiction): Special Topics in Calamity Physics, The Kite Runner, and The Time Traveler's Wife, and (for non-fiction) Fiasco, The World is Flat, Freakonomics (hi, eric!), The Price of Privilege, An Inconvenient Truth, The Glass Castle, Running with Scissors, and The Tipping Point (my current read). Next on my list is, hopefully, The Time Traveler's Wife. Woo-hoo!





And if that isn't enough of a wonderland for you, I also noted the slew of magazines in the forward section. The mags were not sealed in plastic and anyone is free to browse them. They say there are thousands of magazine titles in circulation--a far cry from just several titles in the Philippines.

I lamented the lack of crafting, more specifically crocheting mags in Manila. So I was in an altered state of consciousness as I flipped through many patterns and resources in the abundant craft mag section. There were the usual fashion mags, food and wine, family/children, interior/outdoor design mags. You want business? There was Fortune, Entrepreneur (we have in Manila), INC, Success, Consumer Report, Small Biz, Millionaire, Shop Smart. You want music? There was Magnet, Punk Planet, Harp, Fretboard Journal, Acoustic, and AMP. Science? There was Psyche Today, Astromnomy, and Scientific Mind, among others. Computers and Gadgets? Check out Linux, Mobile Entertainment, TechNet, Web Design.



There were also many pet mags, saluting a $30 billion industry: Bark, Animal Fair, Dog World. Most interesting were travel mags--from budget to luxury. And my new favorites: Writer's Journal, Pages, and Publishing Weekly--for writers of all sorts.

I can't buy a brand new book today for myself but I am sure I can indulge in a magazine. Okay, I will have to close my jaw now, lest I salivate more.

3 comments:

SeƱor Enrique said...

They had a book fair here in Manila a couple of weeks ago. I was able to get Kite Runner (as suggested by Sidney) and the Time Traveler's Wife (as pinched from Jhay's book meme titles). Haven't started on any, because I also discovered your alma mater's booth and got myself, "The Chinese in Philippine Life" by Edgar Wickberg (which I'm reading now). I wanted to get another book, but ran out of funds :)

Goodness, Ateneo Press has a lot of fascinating titles!

I miss Barnes & Noble, though.

TOW Blog said...

way to go, ateneo press!

let me know how kite runner and time traveler went. i looked in amazon and i can get them way cheaper!

happy reading.

tilamsik said...

Mama told me that she would take Reena to Barnes to just browse through the books for a whole afternoon when Reena would visit her in Concord. What a treat! Nearest we have to that is Powerbooks here in Alabang Town Center. Unlike the Cubao branch, the ATC branch installed cushioned sofa chairs & reading tables with matching high chairs for customers to sit and read. No matter if you don't buy! No one takes notice. Shamefully (or not?), I actually finished reading a whole book in 2 sessions at those tables! Heh heh. Still, I think 1 day at the Barnes store you wrote about would not be enough time for me. Maybe we could go there when I visit SF next? :-) Rhea