Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Benefits of Crochet



I must be truly homesick, as I have turned furiously to my crochet projects. Crochet really rests my mind and my spirit. Mabuti na itong crochet, instead of eating, smoking, or alcohol. The repetition of the stitches has a true calming effect on me, and I take advantage of this natural relaxer, this new-age yoga, everytime I can.

I am proud to post my latest projects--a bonnet and a poncho for my 7-year old daughter. Very timely, I must add, as we are about to enter the Fall season. I will be very happy to see her wear these hand-made knotted patterns, so she may be wrapped around my love all day.

All day is also what I can spend crocheting if I didn't watch it. Time flies so fast when crocheting, it is so amazing! I taught my mom and my cousin recently. I keep telling them I started with uneven and ugly squares also. Now, they keep complaining that they just can't stop! My mom, at least, finds relief for her insomnia. And I can't tell you how nice it is to have your yarn while you wait for someone or when en route on the bus or BART.

I don't know if I saved money by crocheting my originals but I know for sure that crochet saved me a lot of despair and confusion by steadying my spirit, ridding me of many angry feelings, and connecting me with my inner self.

Check out fellow crocheters at Crochet Blogs and
Save the Children
.

5 comments:

Senorito<- Ako said...

Aside from chanting, mine would be dishwashing/pagsasampay.

TOW Blog said...

(emailed comment)

I just wanted to say that Selina is so big and pretty na and that I love the colors on your crochet pieces! Gawa ka pa :)

Hope all is well!

Love, Cathy

SeƱor Enrique said...

Ayayay ... reminds me of my brother's friend ( a psychiatrist)who would come over for dinner with his wife and would always bring his crochet bag. Before and after dinner, as we chatted, he would do some crocheting. A lot of friends soon became converts; I, on the other hand, planned to do it later on when much older to prevent getting arthritis.

Remember when some homes in Manila had crocheted covers over their piano, dining table, altar and etc.?

TOW Blog said...

eric, you're so funny! hip na ngayon ang crochet--no more piano ledge covers, promise!

also, crochet and knitting have been proven to lessen anger and violence among prison inmates--an insight on your very brave male doctor friend, crocheting in public. pls tell him that there are wonderful and vogue yarns here. i wish him more power!

badyoga said...

How does one learn to crochet?
I would like to make a hat and a poncho just like the ones you did.
How long would it take someone that has never crochet-ed to learn to do something like that?

There is a guy on my commuter train, he works construction I assume (carries a lunch pail and a hard hat)..and sveral times I looked over and noticed he was doing some kind of sewing. (It looks like he's sewing doll clothes.)

oh and have you ever heard of tatting? I had an aunt that used to do that but she didn't have the patience to teach us kids.