Monday, December 17, 2007

Time Saves 50% off

In our first 2 years of being immigrants, we weren't prepared for weather changes and appropriate clothes. So many well-meaning and generous friends and relatives gave us clothes for me and the younger kids, aged 12, 8, and 4.

People here have many clothes, and giving them away gently-used is a relief to exploding closets. We were quite happy to receive warm clothes in the winter and cool clothes for the summer.

This year was the only time I was able to afford to actually buy the kids their own winter clothes. Since I had time, I waited for the 50% off sale in Mervyn's and Target. I was delighted to buy them at half-off. I bought my girls pretty tops and matching winter coats. I realized my teenage boys' clothes were severe hand-me-downs from the 80's. I bought them current sweaters, and what my son calls "Dancer Hoodies," very current among todays' teens.

It was a pleasure to remember how handsome my teen sons have become, more so with their new, albeit sparse, wardrobe. It is a step up to know that these few pieces belong to them, were bought for them and suit them very well. And that, truly is a promotion of sorts.

I was also surprised to find that there seems to be a budget to buy clothes for me. I have used all the hand-me downs to over-used fadeness. I decided to buy more grown-up clothes, with better fit and current styles, instead of just pull-overs and baggy sweaters. If only I could buy other bottoms than jeans. Well, maybe next time.

I bought a red sweater, a black top for going out at night 9it had some details by the neckline), and an ice blue top. I saved $75 in all as they were half-price in Mervyn's. I am glad to have the time to wait and the time to go when the sale is right. That means Tuesday and Wednesday this week, starting at 6 am.

Cheers to new clothes and what seems to be a more workable budget. Sometimes I don't look at my balance and I always am surprised that there is some money to spend. Could be a Christmas present from the Lord himself.

We may not be rich financially but we are wealthy with time and that's a gift I intend to use to the max.

2 comments:

The Frugal Shrink said...

Beautifully written post, as always!

Donna said...

Hello, Minotte:
Can't put a price on time with your family. However, it IS fun to dress your kids as nicely as possible, isn't it?
I was flattered that you included a quote from one of my essays on your blog. Thank you!
I wondered if you'd seen the update to my original "Surviving and Thriving on $12,000 a Year" and "Living 'Poor' and Loving It" articles. If not, here's the url:
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2007/12/07/a-year-later-still-surviving-and-thriving.aspx
Or just go to http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending and go back a few pages to find it. It ran on Dec. 7.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Best regards,
Donna Freedman