Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Parting with my good old work bag


My mom calls it "dusdusin" (unkempt and scraggy-looking). She refers to my good, old, reliable work bag I bought for $9. I love it because I never have to worry about it. I can sling it around my body like a messenger bag, keeping both my hands free to write and take pictures.

The problem is, my bag is really beige as a base. Even if it's kinda photogenic, look, it has turned gray. Since all my things are in this bag, I sometimes use it as an excuse to wear it elsewhere, sometimes at night, (see fancy dinner in manila when my son took us out to dinner) because it has become too tedious to transfer all my stuff, junk included (receipts, pay envelopes, flyers, the other half of reply slips, etc). My mom and aunt have given me several name brand bags (there's a roomy brown suede orig Coach that i kinda like) but I can't imagine bringing that to work in the field.

Even my aunt and cousin in Manila noticed that I take this bag everywhere. And I say, why not? It's sturdy, the seams are sewn well, only the zipper latch comes off once in a while. It hold all my things nicely and I may have grown attached to it.

They are afraid that it makes me look kawawa (pitiful) and unprofessional. I noticed that it is dirty around the edges. Maybe a good wash will upgrade it.

I found a suitable replacement in Divisoria's 168. I found the cutest Le Sportsac knock-off. I can sling it around my body and shove all my things in there.

So what do you think? Should I get rid of my floral bag or keep it until it is unusable? And why, oh why am i so attached to it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Patawarin mo na ang bag mo!!! I'm sure after a few times using the new bag, it will also have the same feel!

I totally understand how you can get attached to a handbag. I also stick to one "mommy bag" for a long time! How can you not? Everything is ALWAYS there! Not a chance to forget what you need. Just dig for what you want and voila it's in the bag.

Minotte, Iba talaga ang rebonding!!! Grabe how it makes us look 10 years younger! That's it! Magpaparebond ulit ako ng buhok! Kahit na mahal at least pretty naman ako!

I can't believe the before and after pictures! Grabe when I went home to Manila, ganyan pala ang itsura ko with my ponytail! Hahaha! And you my friend did not tell me!!! Sob!Sob!

Talk to you soon!

Love,
Cor

Anonymous said...

Give your bag a break and make a bag lady happy!!!!!
Ha who am I to speak, I practically never change my bag, but this is
what I do....
I buy an expensive bag that I really like, meaning back pack, with all
the other specs like magaang, then I use it for years, they do keep
their shape pretty well, after about 5 years i just say goodbye to it,
laspag or not, because i deserve i knew one.
My advise... get a longchamp back pack its the best....

Jojo

TOW Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TOW Blog said...

girls, girls, girls,

i'm thinking, kung hindi naman pinansin ng public ang bag, papalitan ba natin if it ain't broke?

will i be changing because my mom and tita (okay, and cousin) say i look kawawa??

napalaking pala-isipan!

ettonim

Lia said...

Hi Minotte,
I say do what makes you feel good. It's just a bag; it has no feelings. If I were you I would use the nicer bags especially if you have them na. Maluluma lang - mas sayang diba? I'm like you though, I don't frequently change my bag because it is too much trouble. Living here in the east coast, I do make sure I switch them in the spring and fall. I keep my old ones for when we go to the amusment parks or the beach - pang laspag. By the way, bags are called "pocket books" over here - ewan bakit. Take care.

Lia

TOW Blog said...

good point there, lia! if i have the nice bag na nga naman, no point in letting it sit in my cabinet.

i still have to learn how to use new stuff right away. sometimes, i keep them for "sentimental reasons."

ano kaya yon?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cooks, it's the first blog entry where I read Lia's comment! Great... as for your bag, I tend to be like you, though because Reena keeps giving me new & nice bags,my bags tend to look nice & so when I need to change, maganda din ang replacement. Though honestly, I'm not a bag girl, ok lang sa akin, basta may nakasabit sa balikat ko at pwedeng lagyan ng mga gamit ko, ok na yon. Ha ha ... Rhea