Monday, February 12, 2007

Frugal Furniture Art

Well, what do you know? I thought I wouldn't have the time to paint anything. But I realized that the crazier my schedule is, the more I find time to "escape" and paint something. This is a $5 chair I bought from Salvation Army many months ago. It was a plain wooden chair.



After sanding and priming it, I painted it turquoise to match my batik-inspired Asian elephant.





I was ready to purchase a quart of paint for about $7 but when I looked at the "OOPS" section, where paint mixes were made in error, I found a turquoise shade that was very close to what I needed and bought the can for $1 (my favorite price!).



So the cost of the whole chair is $6. But working on it has given me invaluable solitude, peace and clarity of mind.

Chair: $6
Peace: priceless
And as the ad goes, "And for everything else, there's Master Card."

6 comments:

TOW Blog said...

((((emailed from H))))


i like your chair! buti pa dyan merong Oops section. i was going back to your previous posts to look for that pic with the elephant, which post was it? parang i recall seeing it in one of your posts, o guni-guni ko lang?

H

TOW Blog said...

(((emailed from my mom)))

Dear Cookie,

Beautiful!! It was plain and simple when I was there
last. Please forward to TEvelyn.

Mom

Unknown said...

The chair is beautiful, Minotte! It looks great! Wanna come over and paint some furniture for me?? :) I love the colour and detailing you did! Have a great day :)

Cathy B said...

Such a lovely chair - you can call it your Peace chair :)

TOW Blog said...

((((emailed from N)))))



hi minotte, how are you doing? i hope it's not too hectic with the two jobs, plus ricky being away.
your 'new' chair looks nice. take care.


/n

TOW Blog said...

(((emailed from N)))




loved the chair!!! i can already imagine sitting on it in your garden in calaca admiring the pine tree, while you are busy making bread in the kitchen. yey! you better bring it home. (note: i wonder how you can make time to paint a chair with your schedule. galing!)

take care always.

nini