Friday, February 16, 2007

The Best Burrito in town



After running my errands, I was walking to my car when a woman who pointed Taqueria Numero Uno out to her friend, saying, "They have the best burritos in town!" I tried it out for myself for lunch--and the woman was right!

The regular Carne Asada whole burrito (that I can't seem to ever finish by myself) measures about 8 inches long and about 4 inches wide, filled with marinated grilled and chopped steak, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, refried or whole beans, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and rice, in wholesale quantities, on a soft flour tortilla, all for $4.29. The steak is soft and full of flavor, the beas are tender but not mushy. Sometimes I like it with rice, no beans. On the side is their very own red or green hot sauce (not for novices!) I like this taqueria because of their lovely raspberry iced-tea (not to mention their exotic beer collection) to quench the edge away.

My husband and I like to sneak the burrito into the movies. When we have to share, we get the large burrito for $6.25--our dinner for 2. Somehow, these burritos taste better in the dark! We have tried the Carnitas (grilled shredded pork, like lechon kawali) and we still have to try the Pollo Asado (grilled chicken). I am loyal to the Carne Asada so I don't know when that will ever be. I don't think I will get around to the tacos (corn tortillas) and tostadas (deep fried flour tortillas)in the menu.

Lunchtime teems with Latino construction workers with paint on their overalls, along with the ladies who lunch. There are never any tourists here, only locals and Latinos at that. Dinnertime and week-ends coax the couples and families in.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, Minotte :) I am now officially hungry and craving a good burrito!!! When I lived in Toronto, I could get them at several really good Mexican restaurants (authentic ones...not like Taco Bell! LOL). Now that I live on the Island, I have to A)Wait for a trip to Toronto to get a burrito or B) Make my own! However, there's always something nice about having something made for you...no cooking, no cleaning up afterwards. Sometimes a girl just needs a break :)

The Frugal Shrink said...

Wow, that looks fantastic! Your photographs always look to be of professional quality. :)

TOW Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snarkmeister said...

Numero Uno is indeed fantastic. I am addicted to their carnitas tacos -- add some cheese and some of that incredible homemade red hot sauce, and you've got yourself a winner for only a few bucks.

Krisi and Adam said...

We LOVE Numero Uno and have been going there since their only store was at 18th and A (now a Mr. Pickles -- I think). I always get a super chicken burrito with the "stuff" on the side -- leaving only the chicken and rice in my burrito. I use chips to eat the rest of it and it is PLENTY of food for myself and my 2 yr old for almost 2 meals! This place is a winner!

Teri said...

Nice blog!

If you know anyone with child custody, child support, family rights or false allegations of abuse issues, please have them visit me here:

http://www.teristoddard.MensNewsDaily.com
http://www.SharedParentingWorks .org
http://www.MediaRADAR.org
http://www.True-Equality.org
http://www.NCFMLA.org

Thanks!

Teri, Antioch