Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Frugal Vacation

My husband chanced upon a free hotel voucher from his cousin. So we took off for Seascape Resort in Santa Cruz.

Since the key word was FREE, we were overjoyed by this manna from heaven that befell us: a vacation to recharge and reconnect. We decided not to bring the kids and take advantage of this bonus.

The suite was charming, with a stocked kitchen, living/dining room, and with a view of (hold your breath!) the Pacific Ocean. At night, we fell asleep to the sound of powerful waves. In the morning, we woke up to the smell of the ocean and the most crisp day filled with sunshine.




Our luxury of choice was time. I tried to catch up on reading a novel but fell asleep again. So we lazed around until noon and ventured towards lunch. I wanted to be smart about spending for lunch because my husband was planning a real dinner in a real bistro. So we gawked at the soup and salad bar, cheese selection, and sandwich deli at Gourmet Food--a specialty grocery store/deli. We bought a tub of New England Clam Chowder $2, split a Lucky Seven sandwich(with layers of ham, cheese, and pesto) $7, Ghirardelli chocolate blocks, and Iced Tea. Total cost: $12 for two.









We drove to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk--a carnival by the ocean, lined by beach-volleyball and strollers. Sounds romantic but we came from California Adventure last year, where they have a glorified replica of the Boardwalk, that well, is a better version.




Refusing to be frugal the whole day, my husband's more upscale appetite led us to Bittersweet Bisto. He enjoyed his cod thoroughly and promised to move to Santa Cruz. I was happily twirling my Pasta with meatballs (only because it was a specialty of the house). Yum!

The next day, we had to debate whether we would toast our baon bagels with cream cheese again. Since we were on vacation mode, we explored the Brunch Buffet of the resort with no contest. And at $20 per head, we ate what we could to tide us all the way to dinner. Considering it was the only meal for the day, I think we did well. . .

I combed a couple of antique shops (got a 40-year old divider screen for $10) while my husband checked out the boats at the nearby marina. And then we took the scenic route home. That was 2 more hours of road trip, filled with conversations between 2 people, not 2 parents!

But what we really gained from the vacation is the connection, the energy, the clarity to get back to the routine that can really dull the mind and spirit. I felt like we went on retreat because it has been a long time since we took a vacation without the kids. We were able to talk about deeper stuff about ourselves, our dreams, our fears. I realized my husband's strengths all over again. I re-confirmed his kindness, his generosity, and his sense of humor.

Watching the sunset made us miss their vacation house in La Union--the one we took for granted. Sleeping late was a luxury I can almost never afford. And when we came back, the room was clean, the beds were made.

The best vacations are those that give you back your strength, your purpose, your resolve. And so regardless of the free price tag on the suite, what we took with us when it was time to go was simply priceless.

I urge my mom to take her promised trip (with me!) to Lourdes! And for anyone caught in the dull routine of life, please. . .take a vacation!

5 comments:

TOW Blog said...

(via email)


Hi Minotte!

Nice pictures! I read about your vacation. I know just how you feel. When K and I went to Thailand without kids, WOW it was like when we were first dating. Iba talaga. We parents need times like this to reconnect and think of the other. When kids are around, I can't help but put their needs first because they can't possibly do some things by themselves. So DH gets left in the side. And date night somehow just does not cut it! 3 hours away from kids is not enough time to just disconnect from daily routine. It has to be a day or two or more if possible to get away from it all!!!

C

TOW Blog said...

(via email)

so that's where you went, Maui told me you were in San Jose.

if you & your mom plan to go to lourdes, france, mayba plan for august next year? a friend plans to go to london in aug next year & invited me to go with her & stay in their flat in london where her brother lives. free accommodation na raw ako.

SeƱor Enrique said...

Wow! What a wonderful and intimate vacation with just you and your husband!

I miss New England Clam Chowder soup :( And bagels, too :)

Love the pictures!

Cathy B said...

What a nice post Minotte :) and I'm glad you had a nice time in Santa Cruz. Have always wanted to stop there for the night, maybe we will next time. And I envy your new camera! Ang ganda! And ang ganda ng fotos mo!

tilamsik said...

Reading about your frugal vacation made me smile in my heart. Hay, it also made me realize that Bebop and I need that kind of break too. But for free? Where can we find that here kaya? Hmmm... No matter, when the time is right, we'll have ours too. By the way I love the picture of the balcony and the blue sky. I could hear the waves as you wrote about it. Wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing it. Rhea