Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mom, is It Christmas?


"Mom, is it Christmas?" my youngest shrieked as she opened presents from Manila. My husband had just arrived from a one-month exploratory business trip. But for Filipinos, our culture dictates that you make "padala" or send a gift back. And judging from the number of presents my husband had for us, I can declare that we do have many generous friends and relatives.



We reveled in knock-off bags, cotton blouses and t-shirts--and accessories galore. There were beaded bracelets, polymer rings, bangles, brass necklaces--showcasing the creative prowess of the Pinoy. Some of them I was tasked to sell.



My friends also sent my kids toys, dolls, DVD's. Some have sent (through my son last December) the girls pretty t-shirts that they love to wear. And those Filipino sweets and snacks. Yum! My favorite was the Blue Kitchen Palillos Joe--pie crust strips with sugar merinue on top. My tita sent us Excellent Ham, dripping with honey. Too bad, it stained some of the girls' pictures.




My husband was able to rummage through our things in Manila. He brought me some of my old shoes that I am surprised I had because they were name-branded. It's been a long time since I have seen those. And he brought my favorite red denim rose bag.

He also had my favorite watch restored. It was quoted to be repaired for $200 but he got it done in Manila for $20! He gave it to me 15 years ago. We have taken it scuba-diving and mountain climbing. I think I will wear it all this lifetime. He also got me a vintage watch. After wearing my $7 watch from Walmart (which I kinda like in fairness), having my husband arrive home safely, and all the opening of presents and finding things you like--it sure feels like Christmas.



And to my friends and relatives, any many thanks for your generosity and thoughtfulness--and giving us an extra Christmas Day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's excellent :) I love the giving and receiving custom filipinos have. We bring or send presents for our family in San Jose and my grandmother makes sure she sends her balikbayan boxes to her family there whenever she's in Canada.

It's always fun to give and receive little tokens of love from friends and family. Everyday should feel like Christmas :)

I love that pic of that necklace that you posted! Gorgeous!

TOW Blog said...

hi chrissy,

my friend makes those beaded stuff. i plan to help her sell them here.

nice no?

best regards,
minotte

Unknown said...

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh!!! Those are beautiful! Would you be just selling them in the US? Or will you be selling them to people who live in Canada? LOL!