Wednesday, January 10, 2007

All clothes for a dollar


Nifty As Is accepts donations of gently-used brand name clothing. They then sell any piece for a dollar and the proceeds go to the physically or mentally challenged members of the community, who man, clean, and operate the store.

I think it's the best deal ever. The concept is truly nifty, saves landfill space, attracts lots of bargain-hunters, (I found a blue Tommy Hillfiger sweater, with the tag still on--the one I am wearing in the pic! I wear it all the time!), and helps provide livelihood for those with cerebral palsy, mental retardation, or just plain wheel-chair bound. In fact, the cashier was the friendliest I have met. She is always smiling and she is likes being asked.



Check out my friend's Harry S., article about it in the Antioch Press.

Y. Syrel had a ball, fishing out clothes for a dollar. She bought a bag full for her relatives in Bacolod, and spent just $12.



I discovered cuddly teddy bears for 50 cents. Gently used and nice and clean, these I will send to Bearsfor Bicol for their February shipment, along with the other bears I have been collecting from the Fil-Am community here.



Nifty As Is has hooked us as regular customers. A level above ukay-ukay in Philippines, even above Salvation Army and Goodwill, Nifty is the greatest deal in town!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool post, Minotte! Hey, would you mind if I added you to my favorites?

Senorito<- Ako said...

Here in NZ we call it the Salvation Army... pero hindi lang clothes pati old furnitures and old anything.

:)

Cathy B said...

Naku, you have to take me there when we visit! My kind of place :)

TOW Blog said...

hi chrissy, thanks for stopping by! how's the winter up there?

hi senorito. we have salvation army and goodwill also. i like going there, too.

cathy, please await our bear shipment ha? the bears are good quality and quite nice! lots of love to the kids.

Unknown said...

Hi Minotte :) Winter's actually really mild here right now. It's very odd for this time of the year. We have no snow and we usually have LOTS of it about now. Weird. While many people welcome the warm weather here right now, I'm kind of worried...

Hope all's well where you are! What a cool shop that is! We've got a few stores like it in Canada too. The prices aren't as good as Nifty's though. Value Village and a few consignment shops (or thrift shops) sell used clothing for very economical prices, but it's not quite like Nifty's. There's one place on the Island where people with disabilities who live at the Haven House work at the consignment shop. I think it's a wonderful way to include people with disabilities into society and the working world. The people who work at the shop here are so nice and seem to really like what they're doing :)