Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Growing Our Own Food



It has been my dream to live in a farm. Meanwhile, I tend to my vegetable garden in our backyard.

We have harvested spinach last season. I also planted a lemon tree last year and it has baby lemons already! This summer, we haven't had to buy tomatoes, zucchinis, bell peppers, and squash. Even if I had lots of money, I would not want to buy supermarket vegetables after tasting fresh-picked ones. My organic tomatoes may not be perfect and deep red but I promise you that it is juicy and delicious--the most natural freshness I have tasted. Fresh from the branch, I can eat them with salt and feel tingly.



I am preparing to plant for fall. Salad greens will thrive and I am planning an herb garden. I failed with basil twice but I am determined to try again, if only for home-made pesto.

By the way, check out our clothesline, behind the garden. We may be the only family here with a sampayan, but our electric bill is also probably the lowest at $30 (average bill is about $60 in non-summer months) because we don't use the dryer or central air/heat. (We got window-type AC units instead!--not bad for 8 people who live in this house.

1 comment:

Senorito<- Ako said...

recommend any good gardening book for a TOTAL newbie ? Capsicums are quite expensive here... but the aroma of it! :)